Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Photo of the Day 12/6/06

A fresh pan of "Chocolate Pecan Caramels". They don't look so appetizing in the pan, but once cut they were gorgeous. And delicious, to say the least. The recipe called for boiling the ingredients up to 248 degrees, the firm ball stage, but the temp on my batch kept hovering around 238. That is a fine temperature for fudge. Every time I'd turn the heat up, the mixture would start to scorch, so I just gave up and poured the caramel into the pan. I'm glad I did. It came out velvety soft - just firm enough to not be runny, but soft enough to need not chew. Perfection! I brought a few plates of this to work today as my birthday treat.
Tomorrow the local paper is holding a "Best Baker in the County" contest. I've never entered any type of baking contest before. I am taking 1/2 day vacation and entering:
Peanut Butter Pie,
Peanut Butter Cupcakes, and
The Caramels above.
However, I want to think of a catchier name than "Chocolate Pecan Caramels". It seems most people see the word "caramel" and back away claiming some sort of dental work issue. I don't want that to happen, because these really aren't like caramels. They're actually slightly softer than fudge. So I was thinking something like "Tousled Turtles" or just plain "Better Than Turtles". Guess I'd better decide soon!

No comments: