Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Photos of the Day 12/1/06

Just after 4am.

I got lucky, and the drifts weren't too bad next to the car. I thank the shed for blocking the snow.

Daylight! Shoveled out and cleaned off.
Driving through town on Sunday. The local trucks have to plow toward the center with this much snow.

We got 19 inches, the most snowfall from the storm. The photos just don't do it justice. It was just wild. Most everything closed for the day (I think WalMart and the grocery store were open). Six of our 8 county snow plows were stuck and stranded by 8am. That's how much snow, and how windy it was. The interstate and the county highways were closed, too. The banks opened later in the day--which is good for those who get a live paycheck and have items clearing (not me I have direct deposit), but it was unwise in that it put people out on the road to get there--getting in the way of the plows.

I vaguely remember the blizzard of '79 and somewhere there are polaroids of me @ 4 years old bundled up like an eskimo out playing in it. Anyway, I am very thankful that all we had was the snow. A LOT of people lost power due to the snow starting out as serious ice in their neck of the woods. Heck, days later some people still don't have power, and it's been in the single digits overnight. I can't imagine having to somehow uproot my 3 cats and find some place to stay that has heat. So all in all, we were very lucky!

No comments: