Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Apple Cinnamon Bundt Cake

Scratch another thing off my list--baking something with apples. I've been baking since I was a kid, and only once have I baked with apples--an apple pie out of apples a local farmer had given me, and it didn't turn out very well. (I didn't know to really fill up the crust, so the apples sank while the top crust stayed high up. When you tried to cut into it there was just a big collapse--but at least it didn't taste bad!)
This cake, on the contrary, held together perfectly and tasted wonderful. I've made it twice already--once with Saturday dinner (and the boyfriend and I polished it off after a round of golf Sunday), and again Monday night to bring to work Tuesday. The original recipe does not have the applesauce in it. The first time I made it, I had to add a little water to get everything moistened, so the 2nd time, I used applesauce. Perfect! Moist! Yummy!


Apple Cinnamon Bundt Cake
Adapted slightly from Finding My Inner Cook

3 cups whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
4 T cinnamon (or to own taste, I use a LOT)
1 1/2 cups sugar or Splenda baking mix
1 cup vegetable oil
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
2 large apples, peeled/cored and chopped (I used Jonagold)
1 cup applesauce

Preheat oven to 350 degrees (325 if you are using a black pan).

In a large mixing bowl, stir together the first 5 ingredients. In another bowl, stir together the remaining ingredients (no need for a mixer, just a wooden spoon for all). Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix until just moistened.

Spoon batter into a greased (I like Crisco with Flour spray) bundt pan, spreading evenly. Bake for 45 minutes to an hour, until the top has set to the touch (does not sink if you touch it quickly). Remove from pan and cool. Sprinkle with powdered sugar if desired.

No comments: