Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Honey Orange Spice Muffins

I made these muffins this past Sunday morning as fuel for our annual Christmas-tree-cutting expedition. They're very good, very moist, and the orange peel is just enough without being overpowering. If you strongly dislike the flavor of orange marmalade, then I would omit the orange peel. I always seem to say this, but next time I make these I may add dried cranberries or chopped walnuts.

Honey Orange Spice Muffins
(Adapted from Taste of Home Magazine cake recipe)

1 1/2 cups honey
2/3 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup orange juice
4 eggs
3 cups whole wheat flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
Cinnamon, nutmeg to taste
Grated peel of one fresh orange

In a mixing bowl beat honey, vegetable oil and orange juice. Beat in eggs. In a separate bowl combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and grated orange peel. Gradually add to honey mixture and mix well.
Drop batter into muffin cups, filling them 2/3-3/4 full. Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until muffins test as done. (I leave mine a little squishy on the top so they don't set dry.)
This made 12 jumbo and 4 regular muffins.

No comments: